Introducing ONWARD Summit ‘13
Those of you who’ve been following ONWARD for a while might remember how it all began, five years ago. What started as a simple photography competition slowly grew to attract international participation, and last year we took the plunge, expanding ONWARD into a full-fledged photography festival that culminated in the Summit conference.
The inaugural Summit was a single-day event. Featuring engaging presentations by Todd Hido, Hiroh Kikai, and Zoe Strauss and Peter Barberie as well as portfolio sharing opportunities, our aim was to create a platform for photographers to gather and connect, while learning and gaining inspiration from other artists.
This year, we’re taking it a step further: the ONWARD Summit will now take place over three full days on April 12 – 14 in Philadelphia.
Attendees can expect the same casual networking opportunities, but with even more programming, designed to enrich and broaden our understanding of the medium as a whole:
- Keynote speakers Mark Steinmetz, Eiji Ina, and Maisie Crow will present and discuss their current work.
- Panelists will discuss the role of the photographic print in the 21st century in “To Print or Not To Print.”
- Maisie Crow will also give a lecture introducing her unique documentary style, which combines still photography, audio, and video to tell engaging stories.
- Industry professionals will lead intensive full-day workshops: “Editing for Photographic Storytelling” and “Fine Art Inkjet Printing“
- We will host an exclusive party at a private residence attended by the Summit speakers and other notable photographers
- Attendees can sign up for one-on-one portfolio review opportunities with industry professionals
The medium of photography is ever-changing. New ways of thinking continue to put established practices to the test, inciting some concern about the future relevance of photography as a visual medium. Through our exploration of these topics, we seek to strengthen and expand photography’s place in the visual arts, providing a platform for artists to inspire one another and seek solutions to the questions that emerge as the medium progresses.
We hope you’ll join the discussion and be part of the solution at this year’s ONWARD Summit!